MAY/JUNE

Over a month has past since my last post. I set out to build the new Phase PCB and write a lengthy build log about it, but unfortunately uni has been kicking my ass. I've been working on exams and assignments so not much has happened on here. I haven't been dead though, I've finally setup an Etching system for PCB's and enclosures, and done plenty of designing. 

PHASE MK II
Here's the PCB almost fully populated. I hate to post it half finished, but nevermind. All that's left is to install are matched JFET's, a few caps and diodes and I'll be able to to fire this thing up. I'm rather happy with the outcome, as there isn't an excessive amount of unused space, but the off-board wiring is going to be ridiculous.


As I wanted to streamline my projects, making the turn over from idea to reality faster, I put a lot of effort into the enclosure design using AutoCAD. I've incorporated all correct dimensions of components and designed a pretty basic design which I like. Hopefully everything will be able to just slide straight in without
a problem.

 

Etching
I've been lurking on etching threads on diystompboxes and alike for ages now, and have been wanting to etch for myself. Well, I finally took the plunge and purchased all the necessary stuff and went for it.

I acquired some Ferric Chloride, rather too easily for my liking, from eBay for under £10 for a litre. I got it in its full 45 Baume/undiluted strength meaning I can etch both Aluminium and Copper.

I'm using the Toner Transfer method which is the most straight up and simple way of doing etching, using a Laser printer and an iron. 

I've tried and failed to do this with Magazine paper, for all E&T subscribers out there it didn't work for me! However, I achieved some reasonable results using WHSmiths own brand photo gloss paper.


This is the Toner film transfered onto the enclosure, the black marks are where the resist was weak and those areas didn't come out great, see further down. 
 
 


I added nail varnish and permanent ink pen to the toner film to increase the resist, however the pen served hardly any purpose.





  




Nasty stuff.







Done.
(kinda)


Some things I learnt,
- Nail Varnish works great at resisting the acid and really does protect the enclosure.

- An 'acid resistant' permanent marker pen does not offer much protection against the full strength F.C. Maybe diluted for use with copper it would?

- If there are blemishes around lettering, consider re-applying, it's extremely hard to put nail varnish around it. 

- Increase Contrast and saturation to full on printer settings.

- Iron for ages, and be slow and meticulous in where you've passed the heat on the enclosure, especially in corners and around edges. 

For more information on etching, follow these links:
And for some inspiration, enjoy.

Next update soon!

0 comments:

Post a Comment